Student Financial Aid Programs


Financial aid is divided into two categories - gift aid and self-help aid. Gift aid includes grants and scholarships which generally do not have to be repaid. Self-help aid includes programs that have to be earned such as work-study or programs that have to be repaid such as loans.

The following gives additional information about some of the different types of aid available at DBU. Additional information about federal programs can be found at . Additional information on state programs can be found at


For full information on the Grants listed below, please visit the Grants page on the DBU website.

Grants are gifts of money and are usually awarded on the basis of financial need. A student's financial aid package may include grant money whenever eligibility and funding levels permit.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is a federal program of entitlement basic to all other student financial aid. This grant is only awarded to students pursuing their first bachelor's degree. The program is based on a need analysis formula, which considers family income and assets, size of family, number of children attending post-secondary schools, and other factors. Application for the grant is automatic when completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is available only to undergraduate students who have remaining unmet need after the Federal Pell Grant has been awarded. Students seeking second bachelor degrees are not eligible for SEOG.

Priority for awarding is given to students with a family contribution of "0," as established by federal regulations, and who have completed all necessary paperwork by the financial aid deadline of February 1. Any funds remaining after that date are awarded to Pell-eligible students with completed files on a "first-come, first-serve" basis. The maximum and minimum annual FSEOG awards are set each year by the Office of Financial Aid in accordance with federal regulations.

Tuition Equalization Grant

The Tuition Equalization Grant (TEG) is a state of Texas grant program for residents attending a private university in the state of Texas. The TEG is provided to help offset some of the difference in cost between public and private tuition for students attending private universities in Texas. Students must meet the following eligibility requirements to be eligible for TEG:

  • Must meet all requirements to receive federal aid as described previously;

  • Be a legal Texas resident. If a dependent student, parents must be legal Texas residents;

  • Be enrolled in at least three-quarter time in a semester to receive the grant for that semester;

  • Not be the recipient of an athletic scholarship;

  • Not be pursuing a career in church-related ministry or receiving a ministerial scholarship;

  • Be enrolled in an eligible major. (Contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information).

  • Effective Family Contribution (EFC) may not exceed an amount established annually by the Independent Colleges and Universities of Texas (ICUT).

  • Must be seeking a first bachelor’s degree.

Students that are residents of Texas and would like to be considered for Texas grants or loans must complete the Texas Residency Determination Form. Students that are provide a Texas address on the Fafsa, TASFA or admissions application will be asked to complete the Texas Residency Determination Form. Students will not be considered until the Texas Residency Determination Form is submitted. Funds are offered on a first come first served basis and are limited. Funds are disbursed during the fall and spring semesters. TEG hardship requests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. TEG is available for traditional undergraduates, nontraditional undergraduates and graduate students.

Aid for Non-Citizen Texas Residents

Texas provides a financial aid application for students who are not United States citizens, but who are Texas residents. Though you may not be eligible to apply for federal financial aid, you may still receive aid from the State of Texas by completing the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA)  at the “College for All Texans” website.  Additional information can be found at .

Student Employment

Studies done regarding the relationship between academic achievement and working show that working part-time, especially on campus, results in students more invested in their education, better able to prioritize, and use campus resources for success.  Dallas Baptist University Financial Aid Office supports these findings and encourages students to pursue part-time employment opportunities.

Federal Work Study Program

This financial aid program, funded by the federal government and the University, provides a variety of on-campus employment opportunities for students. Jobs range from assisting with research to general office work to community action projects. Students work an average of 10-12 hours per week during the semester. Eligibility for FWS is based on financial need as determined by the FAFSA.

State Work Study Program

This financial aid program is funded by the State of Texas and private employers. It allows Texas State residents to work with employers during the academic year. These opportunities provide an excellent way for students to gain valuable experience in their fields of study, network, and earn money to help pay for college. Eligibility for TWS is based on financial need as determined by the FAFSA. 


For full information and instructions on applying for the scholarships available to DBU students, please visit the Scholarships page on the DBU website.

A number of scholarships are available for students attending DBU. Some of the scholarships offered are listed below. New students should contact the Office of Admissions for complete and current information on scholarships for new students. Continuing students should contact the Office of Financial Aid for current information on continuing student scholarships.

Each scholarship has specific eligibility requirements. Some are merit-based, based on academic performance or other special talents, while some are need-based, based on financial need.

Types of scholarships available for undergraduate and graduate students include Academic, First-Year, Transfer, Graduate, Education, Music, Ministry, Military, National, Service, Full-Time Students, and Part-Time Students.

Maintaining Your Scholarship

For full information on maintaining your scholarships, please visit the DBU Scholarships page.

Disabled Students

Students who are physically disabled and are enrolled or will be enrolled at Dallas Baptist University should contact the Texas Rehabilitation Commission regarding financial aid specifically for the disabled.

NOTE: Other scholarships may also become available from time to time. Please check with your college department or the Office of Scholarship and Grant Resources for any specific scholarships that may be available.


For additional Student Loan information please visit the Loans page on the DBU website.

The University participates in several loan programs that offer help to students who need additional financial assistance. The purpose of all loan programs is to assist students unable to obtain sufficient support from other sources. Student loans must be repaid. Therefore, students are highly encouraged to borrow only what they need to cover direct educational expenses.

In order to qualify for assistance under any of the loan programs, the student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the appropriate academic year. These forms are available online at

Students who receive federal loans are required to complete online entrance counseling and electronically sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) to secure their loan(s). Students must also complete exit counseling upon their graduation or withdrawal from the University. This exit counseling session is required by federal regulation and should be completed within 30 days of graduation or upon withdrawal from the University. Students awarded loans must go online to to complete the process.

Loan Disbursements

Loan funds are normally disbursed to student accounts twice per loan period. If the student's loan period consists of the fall and spring semesters, one disbursement will be made in the fall and one in the spring. Each equal disbursement is applied to the student's account approximately one week after the add/drop period ends for that semester.

Undergraduate students who are completing their degrees and will be attending only a portion of the academic year (e.g., they are graduating) will have their loan amount prorated based on federal regulations and based on the number of hours enrolled during the semester divided by 24 credit hours. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information and for planning purposes.

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program

The Federal Direct Student Loan program consists of two types of loans: The Federal Direct Subsidized Loan and the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. These loans are secured from the Department of Education (federal government), which is the lender.

Loan eligibility varies depending on the student's year in school and dependency status. Federal Direct Loans are available to undergraduate and graduate students and dependent and independent students in varying amounts.

The student must meet certain requirements (as determined from the FAFSA) to qualify for a subsidized loan. "Subsidized" means that the government pays the interest on the loan while the student maintains an eligible enrollment in school. The student is responsible for repaying the loan and interest after enrollment ends. The government does not pay the interest on an unsubsidized loan. The borrower is responsible for all interest that accrues on the loan even while in school.

The interest rate under the Federal Direct Loan program is a fixed rate. A portion of the loan amount may be deducted to cover origination and loan insurance fees. Go to for more information, including repayment terms, deferment options, consolidation, origination and insurance fees, and other details.

Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

Parents may borrow for their dependent undergraduate students under the Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students program (PLUS). The amount borrowed may be up to the cost of attendance minus other financial aid received. The interest rate is fixed. Repayment begins within thirty days after the final disbursement of the loan each year. The Department of Education charges an origination and insurance fee for a PLUS Loan, which will be deducted from the loan proceeds.

To be eligible, parents and students must not currently be in default on any Federal Student Loan nor owe a refund on any federal grant. The parent's credit history is evaluated prior to approval of the loan. If the PLUS Loan is denied, the student may then be eligible to borrow additional funds under the Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan program. Additional information about the Federal Direct PLUS Loan is available from the Office of Financial Aid. Application is made on the Website, which can be accessed through

College Access Loan (CAL)

The CAL Loan is a state fixed-rate loan program. Information and an application are available online at or

Alternative Educational Loans

Most student loan programs require a minimum of half-time enrollment status to be eligible to apply for assistance. However, some private lenders offer alternative educational loans for less than half-time enrollment. For more information, visit Students are required to complete the FAFSA to determine eligibility for federal loans before securing higher-interest private loans.

Other private loans may be available. Contact the Office of Financial Aid or Scholarship and Grant Coordinator for more information.